Our Approach to Sustainability
The first Loop Phone Booths we ever built were designed for, and still have a home in, the farthest north Net Zero LEED Platinum-certified office building in North America. It was also designed and built to meet the rigorous Living Building Challenge (LBC) standards. Environmentally conscious design has stayed a core value for our organization. Our goal to lead in sustainable and socially responsible design and manufacturing is supported by our third party validated BIFMA e3 LEVEL 1 certification. BIFMA e3 LEVELs is a comprehensive certification program that provides purchasers a transparent means to confidently source responsibly manufactured products. Loop Solo, Loop Cube, and Loop Access have been measured against the multi-attribute criteria defined in the ANSI/BIFMA e3 Furniture Sustainability Standard and are listed in an industry-wide public registry.
BIFMA LEVELS carefully considers material choices including renewable, recycled, recyclable, and biodegradable. The certification also includes policies related to product end-of-life management, hazardous materials assessments, water management, occupant wellness, material use efficiency, clean air testing, impacts on human and ecosystem health, vendor selection requirements, employee health and social policies, community engagement, energy efficiency and much more. BIFMA e3 LEVEL 1 certified pods encompass points and common consideration for both LEED and LBC.
“Designing with the environment in mind is core to our approach and is fundamental to our company culture”
– Nick Kazakoff
Design for Environment Guidelines
All current and future Loop products conform to the following guidelines and standards.
- To only use sustainably sourced wood, certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- To only use laminate that is Greenguard® Certified.
- Create products that result in waste materials under a baseline of 35% waste in weight.
- To divert 90% of the waste generated through our manufacturing process from a landfill to recycling, donating, re-sale, or reusing options; with the end goal of 100% waste diversion.
- To analyze operational energy on a bi-annual basis, and optimize whenever possible, based on the most current advancements in energy efficiency.
- Our process water use is currently 0- 500 mL/water per product, and we commit to monitoring our water use (in mL/product/process) while designing products to maintain this low level of water requirement.
- To continue designing products to be low energy-intensive during manufacturing. Not only are the materials used for our products low embodied energy, but we also complete the majority of our manufacturing process (80%) using low-energy intensive hand tools to minimize energy used.
- To design durable products to last as long as possible through timeless aesthetics paired with durable construction and materials. Through the Closed Loop Program, we reduce the environmental impact of our products by providing options to Refresh, Retrofit, Refurbish, or Recycle your product. By providing alternate disposal options, we can keep more items from needlessly going to landfills.
- Environmentally sustainable materials (renewable or high recycled content) will be the first considered options for products designed in the future.
Frequently asked questions
Here you will find some of our most frequently asked questions about the sustainability of our modern phone booths. If you don’t see your questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!More FAQ
Yes! Sustainability is one of our key values. But don’t just take our word for it, our Loop Solo, Loop Cube, and Loop Access booths are third party certified to BIFMA e3 LEVEL 1 as sustainable and socially responsible products. This includes our comprehensive Design for the Environment policy. You can learn more about our approach to sustainability here.
Yes! Our BIFMA e3 LEVEL 1 certification for our Loop Solo, Loop Cube, and Loop Access covers both environmental and social aspects of our products and our company. This includes everything from extended product responsibility, inclusive hiring practices, health benefits, and fair living wages, to our community outreach and engagement and our supplier code of conduct. We care about the same values as our customers and we are industry leaders with our environmental and social governance policies. You can be rest assured that our products and our company meet or exceed your ESG requirements. You can read more about our policies relating to ESG here.
Phone Booths purchased in Canada and the United states must be third party certified to UL962 and listed by an accredited agency such ETL. This ensures that the products have been mechanical strength tested, tip tested, fire tested, and most importantly electrical tested. For booths sold in Canada, certification to CSA C22.2 is also a requirement to meet building codes. Loop Phone Booths are UL962 and CSA C22.2 certified by Intertek and are ETL listed. You can learn more about our industry leading approach to safety and certification here. In addition to our certifications, Loop Phone Booths are compliant with the current POD guidelines set by BIFMA.